Friday, June 6, 2014

DIY: Glitter Wine Bottle

Hello friends! It was an exciting week for me as one of my besties turned 21 on Tuesday! And what do you give the ultimate girly girl for her 21st? A bling-ed out wine bottle of course! I had so much fun making this and now I'm constantly looking for things I can add glitter to because I have sooooooo much extra glitter. It was easy to make and my friend absolutely loved it, so it was time well spent!


I'm very proud of the finished product, but it obviously didn't start out looking like that! I have the project supplies are listed and pictured below. I overestimated how much glitter/mod podge I needed so I could have downsized and saved some money, but all the supplies came it at about $20 (excluding the wine)


Supplies
An item to decorate (I chose a wine bottle)
Glitter
Mod Podge Glossy Finish
Sponge Applicator
Gems (optional)
Tacky Glue (optional/not shown)


My sister got some action shots of me applying the glitter, so hopefully this gives you a good visual of what I was doing. It was a pretty simply method if I'm being honest. I worked in sections and applied a medium layer of mod podge and then just sprinkled the glitter over it using my fingers. 

I didn't want to gloop on the mod podge but I wanted enough so that the glitter would actually stick. I think after a section or two you get a feel for what is the ideal amount. I also think it would have been easier if I had gone for a smaller sponged applicator. I thought it would be more convenient to have  large one to cover more surface area at once, but it didn't quite fit in the jar of mod podge so it kind of created a big gluey mess.


After I sprinkled the glitter on the bottle, I shook it and blew on it so that all the extra glitter would flake off. I worked over newspaper but I still made quite the mess! Although I will say that the shape of the bottle made it pretty easy to work with since I had something to hold onto that wasn't being coated.


After you finish covering all the areas with glitter, you can use the mod podge to seal the glitter so it doesn't flake off. It is very important that you choose the mod podge with the glossy finish for this because it will preserve the shininess of the glitter. I just used the sponge to kind of blot/stipple it on top of the glitter (I figured this was more gentle than stroking it on) and it dried clear and kept the glitter in place!

It's also important to note that mod podge is not just regular glue. I don't believe using craft glue (especially as the sealing layer) would have the same effect.

The picture above is what the bottle looked like after I sealed in all of the glitter.


Now comes some more optional decorating! If I had been doing something for my home (like a vase or a make-up brush holder) I might not have gone for the gems, but 21st birthdays call for tackiness. 

I went for clear tacky glue because I didn't want any residue when it dried. It worked out really well and all of the gems stayed on during transport. I would say be a little more generous with the glue than you think you do (especially if it's going to dry clear anyway) because the glitter is a textured surface and it really needs to seep into all the nooks and crannies. 




What do you think of the project? What should I add glitter to next? Let me know in the comments!


6 comments:

  1. Very girly & sparkly! It'll be a 21st birthday keepsake for sure! Barefoot Moscato is the way to go for a refreshing, light alcoholic beverage. :] // itsCarmen.com ☼

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girly and sparkly was exactly the look I was going for! You can never go wrong with a little bit (or a lot) of glitter!

      Delete
  2. I loved this DIY it'd be great to stick flowers in aswell. I've nominated you in my libster award http://nimblenote.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't even like wine that much but I'm going to buy a bottle simply because your post is that inspiring and looks like so much fun haha :) love your blog by the way :) x

    www.rhaea.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't even like wine that much but I'm going to buy a bottle simply because your post is that inspiring and looks like so much fun haha :) love your blog by the way :) x

    www.rhaea.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't even like wine that much but I'm going to buy a bottle simply because your post is that inspiring and looks like so much fun haha :) love your blog by the way :) x

    www.rhaea.co.uk

    ReplyDelete