Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Fashion Tips from Baby Elise

Well everyone, I'm officially a college graduate! And now that I'm done with school I'll be having much more time on my hands. So I promise that I'll get back onto a schedule of more than one post per week. And to kick things off with a bang and celebrate the end of an era, I thought we'd take a trip down memory lane and get some fashion tips from baby Elise. So here are the fashion rules I live by (even 20 years later).

1) Always match your shoes to your bag.

You don't always have to be as matchy matchy as mini-me was, but it's nice to have cohesion within an outfit. I like my accessories to finish a look, so I want them to be contributing to a similar theme. If I have one really loud accessory, I usually keep the others neutral. Or if everything is neutral I usually try to keep them in the same color family (browns and tans vs. blacks and grays).

2) Florals are always in.

You know what they say, April showers bring May flowers. And now that it's May it is definitely floral season! If you've been following this blog for a while then you know that my style is definitely on the more feminine side, so working in romantic floral patterns is one of my favorite ways to make an outfit. I've heard it's going to be a hot summer, so I'll be stocking up on flowy floral dresses to stay cool and look cute this summer.

3) Don't sacrifice practicality for style.

I'm better about this now, but in high school I would rather freeze to death than wear a winter coat on a regular basis because it wasn't "in". Then I went to college and all of a sudden the trends seemed to be based around what was practical (who knew that wearing a parka down to your knees would ever be considered chic?) At least here in the US it'll be a while before you have to bundle up again, but keep in mind that you should never sacrifice comfort for fashion and even practical pieces can still be cute!  So keep that in mind the next time 6 inch heels are calling your name. 

4) No matter what the outfit is, you just need to commit.

Stepping out of your comfort zone? Good for you! I know it can be nerve racking to walk around all day in something you haven't tried before, but a little confidence can go along way. You'll never look ridiculous if you hold your head up high and walk around like you and your outfit own the place.  So when trying something new, be sure to fully commit and I promise you that the feedback will be positive!

I'd love to hear your favorite holy grail fashion tips and if you do a similar post I'd love it if you left me the link in the comments so that I could check it out :)


6 comments:

  1. Congratulations on graduating!! But seriously you'll wish you were back by the end of the summer... sigh. I miss college!

    Jessie at BlushandBlonde.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And I know, I'm already missing it!

      Delete
  2. These photos are adorable! And with such good advice, my mum constantly refers to our 'we don't wear rain jackets because it isn't cool phase.' These days, I wear my rain jacket when it's not even raining, it's great for blocking out the wind!

    Oh, and congrats on graduating!

    Rachel | Rachel is Elsewhere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm the same way! I remember my first month at college I couldn't figure out why rain boots were so popular and then after a very long and soggy day it finally hit me!

      Delete
  3. This is so sweet! I love the second picture :)

    Congratulations on graduating!

    Erin, beingerin.com

    ReplyDelete