Thursday, April 24, 2014

Surviving Finals Week: Study Tips

Update from UConn: these last weeks of class are kicking my butt at the moment. It seems like there is so much to do and just not enough time to get it all done! Finals week is quickly approaching, but this year all my classes have final projects and papers due before exams and it's been a struggle to keep up. Hopefully you guys are hanging in there, but I thought I'd post some of my favorite study tips so we can get through the end of the semester together!


Plan it all out.
(Source-- my planner is a hot mess and not nearly as cute as this one so I thought I'd spare your eyes)

There are so many different ways to keep track of your to-do lists. Personally, I need to hand write everything down in my planner, but I have friends who couldn't last a day without their iCal. Whatever style works for you, be sure to write down your assignments so you don't miss anything and try and break them up into less intimidating chunks. Up until yesterday I was playing that dangerous game where you convince yourself that if you don't acknowledge the fact that you have assignments, nothing will be due. Unfortunately, ignoring important deadlines won't make them go away so I decided to commit to a very detailed reading schedule that has been carefully outlined in my planner. Normally I just make a mental note of what I want to get done by the end of the week so my schedule can be a little more flexible. That way I don't feel discouraged if I need to shuffle things around, but at the moment I'm so behind that I need a lot more structure than normal.


Prioritize and keep your sanity. 

It seems like common sense to work on the things with the closest due dates first, but what if you have a really time consuming assignment due shortly after? Don't forget to consider how long each assignment is going to take. You might need to work on two assignments simultaneously (gross) in order to make sure you aren't trying to crank out a 10 page paper the night before it's due. Even though it sucks, you might have to take a break from some of your favorite distractions. I've been blogging a little less than usual lately since as much as I hate to admit it, school work is probably more important (is it really though?) But you can treat yourself to SOME study breaks. If you lock yourself in your room for the next 3 weeks and only interact with your text books than your going to go crazy. You might even try and sleep in the library because apparently that was an issue that needed to be addressed at one point in time. So take a TV break, meet your friends for dinner, and take some "me" time when you need it. A 5-minute dance break can go a long way!


Know what works for you.
(Source)
I hate flash cards. I literally can't stand them. It's kind of strange though since they seem to be such a studying staple. They really don't work for me so instead I focus on ways that do work. For example, I always hand write my notes once or twice instead. It works great for me! I also avoid studying with friends because I know the last thing we'll be doing is quietly reviewing our text books. Having company can be okay, but it usually only works out for me if we aren't in the same class. Otherwise an innocent question on the material can turn into a 20 minute gossipfest about the teacher's shoes. Are they cute? Are they terrible? These are the questions I'll actually know the answer to, but unfortunately those will probably not be on the test.


Switch up your study spot.
(Source-- my favorite study spot on campus!)
The best part about the spring semester is that you can study outside! As long as I don't need my computer I love to study outside. Obviously studying sucks, but being outside while you do it can make it a little more enjoyable. I avoid the library like the plague all year, but especially during finals. The stress just radiates from everyone and it kills my vibe. I am however a huge fan of coffee shop studying. I'm the queen of thinking my $2 chai latte earns me a spot on the outdoor patio for at least the next three hours. I like to switch up where I'm studying every few hours because I find it keeps me alert. Even if I'm not going to be studying for too long, I still like to pick somewhere to go that's not my room. My bed is just too comfy to be productive! Plus I find I'm more efficient if I get to go back to my room once I'm done. Nothing encourages some quality speed reading like knowing my pillow-top mattress pad is awaiting my return. 


Take care of yourself.
(MichaelaNoelleDesigns)
Believe it or not personal hygiene is still important during finals week. I know it seems blasphemous to suggest that anything besides sweatpants and cotton headbands is appropriate finals week apparel, but I've always felt taking a little time to get ready in the morning with a quick shower and even putting on a little make up makes me feel like a real person who is ready to take on the day. I think it's important to stick to your typical routine. You're already stressed out, so don't add to it by shocking your body with crazy all-nighters and twinkies for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Good luck on finals to everyone! Are there any study tips that you think I should try? Let me know in the comments!


6 comments:

  1. Great Tips! Love your blog!
    Could you check out my blog and follow it on bloglovin? I will follow back! :)
    I have a new post every day!

    Stay fancy!
    xxx Kelly-Louise!

    fancysince1992.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I followed :) I also love the purse from your Morning Glory post. So cute!

      Delete
  2. I love this! Even though the planner isn't yours, I still love it
    Justice
    http://www.toastandroses.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it so cute? I tried to photograph mine but it just didn't have any pizazz so I tried to find one that had a little more going for it

      Delete
  3. Aww thanks! Hopefully now that I have some time on my hands I can do a post :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am happy to find this post Very useful for me, as it contains lot of information. I Always prefer to read The Quality and glad I found this thing in you post. Thanks
    Hbse result 2018

    ReplyDelete