Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Top 5 Tuesday: Sick Day Essentials

Unfortunately today is not my day. We had our first really warm day in CT yesterday so I thought I might have let myself get a bit dehydrated, but lo and behold I woke up this morning with a sore throat and a headache. Despite my deepest desires to quarantine myself within the walls of my dorm room, I have 2 classes to attend and an event to run tonight. If I did have the option to stay in bed all day, this is a list of all the things I would need.

1) TV on DVD
(Source)
If you've been following my blog for awhile then it's probably no surprise to you that for me, there is no problem watching the entire series of Laguna Beach in one sitting can't solve. Being under the weather is definitely no exception. So break out the box set of your favorite show, pop in the DVD and hopefully it will be at least 3 hours until you have to get up again.

2) All of your comfiest things
(Source)
Your favorite PJs, a cozy blanket, mountains of pillows. Grab it all. If you can manage to stay comfortable it just might soften the blow of otherwise feeling like death.

3) Sick day food of your choice
(Source)
Sick day food can be a challenge, especially if you have no appetite. But I'm a firm believer that an a completely empty stomach will make you feel worse. If you're stomach is the problem go for the classic chicken noodle soup or maybe some saltines and gingerale (I personally prefer water to soda when I'm not feeling well but do what works for you!). For a sore throat load up on the cold stuff. You now have an excuse to eat ice cream for every meal (as if you really needed an excuse...)

4) Medicine
(Source)
Now I don't get sick very often, so when I do, I feel comfortable using over the counter meds. A few Ibuprofen in the morning is usually enough to get me through the day so personally I'm not anti-medicine. If I know something can help me start to feel like an actual human being again, then I'm all for it. But if you're not as drug-store friendly as I am, I'm sure there are plenty of all natural remedies that you could try like Vitamin C or certain teas!

5) Cats

I actually don't have a cat anymore, but when I did he was always my favorite sick day snuggle buddy (who are we kidding, he was my favorite every day snuggle buddy). There's nothing like a pet to cuddle up with and keep you company, especially when you're contagious to other humans. Also, your cat won't care that you haven't combed your hair or changed your clothes in 3 days and if that isn't a sick day essential I don't know what is.

Hope you're all staying healthy! Do you have any sick day go to's that you could send my way? Let me know in the comments!


4 comments:

  1. Great tips! I laughed out loud at the cat one! I loveeeee tomato soup when I am sick.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! In my mind cats are the answer to every problem!

      Delete
  2. My cat is currently taking care of me! xx

    http://irismaher.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cat snuggles are the best kind of snuggles :)

      Delete