Sunday, March 23, 2014

Ezra Fitz: Cute or Creepy?

So how about that Pretty Little Liars season finale earlier this week?! Now this is a spoiler free blog, but my ask box on tumblr is open for comments on the cliff hanger! However, what I did want to talk about this week is the PLL power couple: Ezra Fitz and Aria Montgomery.

(Source)

So clearly Ezra Fitz is a dream boat. He's gorgeous, sensitive, educated--a guy you'd definitely want to bring home to meet the fam. The only problem? He seems to think it's okay to have a romantic relationship with a 16 year old girl. Oh, and did I mention he's her English teacher? So yeah, maybe he was too good to be true.

Ever since I saw the pilot for PLL the Aria/Ezra story line made me EXTREMELY nervous. ABC Family walks a very dangerous line by portraying a romantic student/teacher relationship in a positive light. Millions of teenagers tune into the show each week and the last thing they need to be learning is that a fling with their teacher is peachy keen. 

(Source)

So there are few different reasons why Ezra and Aria's relationship is insanely problematic. When they first get together Aria is entering her junior year of high school and Ezra his starting is first year in the workforce. This puts Aria around 16 and Ezra around 23. Now a 7 year age difference might seem like nothing when you're in your 30s, but the developmental differences between a 16 and a 23 year old are pretty significant. The prefrontal cortex is the part of your brain that controls your judgement (calculating risk, predicting consequences, controlling impulses) and it doesn't fully develop until your mid 20s. That's the biggest reason a 16 year old is not legally able to consent to a sexual relationship with an adult. Their brain doesn't allow them to really understand what's going on.

Although the show does dance around the fact that they need to keep their relationship a secret, no one ever acknowledges that Aria isn't old enough to give consent and this relationship is super illegal. If their relationship ever became public knowledge, Ezra would lose his job, but he'd also be considered a registered sex offender. That's some pretty heavy stuff that never makes it into the conversation.

(Source)

Even though Aria may feel differently, the fact is that she has no power in this relationship. This is partially due to the age difference but majority of the power imbalance is a result of the student/teacher component. Dating a student is a huge abuse of power regardless of if they are above the age of consent. Teachers have the power to impose some serious consequences if their students don't cooperate with their desires inside or outside of the classroom. 

It's not uncommon for colleges (including the one I attend) to implement policies in order to protect students from this abuse of power. Most students enrolled in college are 18+ so they are able to legally consent to the relationship. However, getting out of the relationship is much more complicated since the threat of an angry ex-partner interfering with your schooling is very real.

(Source)

With that being said, it's not really the age gap itself that's the problem-- it's the power imbalance it creates. There are plenty of relationships where the couple is of similar age and power is not evenly distributed, leading to one partner being controlled or exploited. (Click here for more info on Power/Control). But there can also be relationships with large age gaps (granted both parties are legally able to consent) that don't pose a power issue at all. 

(Source)

For instance, the only thing wrong with this picture of 38 year old Bradley Cooper and his 22 year old girlfriend Suki Waterhouse is her outfit, not their 16 year age difference. At 22 years old, Suki is legally able to give consent, her brain is pretty much fully developed, and she's a successful model (who unlike me probably pays her own cell phone bill and doesn't live with her parents). Now not every 22 year old is going to be on even footing with a 38 year old, but I'm going to give Suki the benefit of the doubt that due to the nature and success of her career, she's probably pretty mature for her age.


So what's your opinion on Ezra? Is he a keeper or a creeper? Let me know in the comments! NO SPOILERS PLEASE!! Like I said before, if you want to discuss the finale, leave it in my ask on Tumblr! Also, keep in mind I haven't read the books :)



11 comments:

  1. In the show, they make it seem like the age difference is no big deal, that the only thing wrong is that fitz is a teacher. But ignore the fact that fitz is her teacher, when is dating a 16 year old girl "fine" for a grown adult...its not! the whole thing is creepy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! They definitely down play the age difference because the actress is above the age of consent. But the character was so young when the show started!

      Delete
  2. I think it's romantic. I'm not bothered by the age difference. It may be because me myself have always been interested in older guys, but I think the show has an appropriate sensibility about the age gap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. When one of the people in the relationship are a minor, age gaps seem a lot bigger. Even if Arya was 19, it wouldn't have been tat big of a deal. But if they love each other and can handle the age gap, it's fine. If they weren't student teacher it wouldn't have been that big. She'd turn 18 in two years anyway. I prefer older guys too and girl mature a lot more than guys so I don't see this as a problem. I mean if people can indulge in incest, this shouldn't be a problem.

      Delete
  3. My parents are eight years apart. As people get older, the age gap will not seem as bad, but I do understand how it could have been seen as creepy at first. I think 16 is the age where it becomes okay, any younger and it WOULD be creepy, but I don't think it is. In my opinion, they're meant to be! UGH I SHIP IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. age difference is not that big. Aria seems mature enough to give consent and she was 16 and that is the age of consent in Pennsylvania. She could give consent, what is wrong according to the law is that they were dating while he was her teacher which is why they could be seen together after he left Rosewood High.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was waiting for someone to say this! Yes! 16 is the legal age of consent in many states, including PA where the fictional town of rosewood is supposed to exist.

      Delete
  5. I know! That’s what I was thinking, I actually googled it too because I wanted to be sure! So I really don’t see how it’d be illegal aside from him being her teacher but correct me if I’m wrong

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even though her being 16 and that being the age consent in Pennsylvania, the law states:

    "Pennsylvania also recognizes that power imbalances in certain relationships make consent impossible, regardless of age. It is considered felony institutional sexual assault when sexual activity occurs with an employee/agent of a:

    School (teacher/coach)"

    Illegal as f**k.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that they downplayed it in the show covering your tracks with the setting being in Pennsylvania with an actual legal age of consent is 16 but I actually enjoyed the show and I love the relationship I was once young and I did the same thing when I was 16 my boyfriend was 21 but I told him I old I was and he respected me and we still dated up until I was about 18 the show definitely brought back some memories for me

    ReplyDelete
  8. She could have been 17 or even 18. 17 if her birthday was after the cut off date to start school, 18 if she stayed back a year as well.

    ReplyDelete