Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Top 5 Tuesday: Preparing for an Interview

Today is a very exciting day for me! I have an interview at a PR company in my area for a summer internship. I'm a little nervous, but I've got my fingers crossed that all will go well and I'll walk in as an applicant and out as an intern!

Since I'm already thinking about my interview process, I thought I'd put together my top 5 tips for acing an interview. So here they are!

1) Pick out your favorite professional outfit!
If you're anything like me, picking out the outfit is both the hardest and the most exciting part. Because after all, when you look good you feel good!

These aren't all the exact pieces I'll be wearing, some are just close matches I found on Polyvore!

Option #1 is probably what I'm going to go for since I'm having an individual interview. I'm not positive what the feel of the office is, so I'd rather be over dressed than under. I'll be rocking a blazer that I just got from H&M with the cuffs rolled up to break up all the black. (I may or may not have gone around the store rolling up all the blazer sleeves to see if they were cuffable). I'll pair it with ankle pants I just bought from Target, H&M flats, a Charlotte Russe white lace peplum, and a mint statement necklace from Forever21. 

(Find it on my Polyvore)

If I was having a group interview or if I was going to something like the internship fair (which is where I met this company in the first place) I would wear something that makes me stand out a bit more. I really like pastel pencil skirts for the spring (I have a mint one from Forever21 that is to die for). I pair mine with those nude heels from Payless, and I have a white lace tank similar to this one which I got from H&M. I would ideally pair it with a white blazer, but I don't have that so I wore mine with a white cardigan. I think working in my colors to an interview outfit can really make an impression!

2) Google the company
(Source)

Chances are their going to ask you questions about their company. What makes you want to work there? What's your favorite thing about their company? Your favorite product, service, etc.? So do your research before you go! Pick a few things you that stand out to you from their mission statement and maybe from other parts of their website. It'll be helpful for sure.

(Tip: If you're going to try and be sneaky and look up who you're interviewing with on LinkedIn--make sure you go anonymous first. You don't want them to think you're a cyberstalker before you even get in the room)

3) Practice typical interview questions
(Source)

You might not know who you're interviewing with, but you can still know what to expect. There are tons of websites that have practice interview questions that you can look at. Some even have message boards where people post questions that specific companies use, so you can see if yours is on there. Either way, you know that there are some classic one's you'll probably be asked. Strengths and weaknesses? Do you prefer working with a team or independently? Describe a time when you've had to overcome a challenge/work with a difficult person/be a leader/etc.

Tip: This is a great time to utilize the information you gained from their website and the job description. If they say one of their core company values is teamwork PLEASE don't say one of your weaknesses is working with others! 

4) Prepare questions for the interviewers
(Source)

Nothing impresses an interviewer more than a candidate taking an interest in the company. At the end of any interview, they'll probably ask you if you have any questions for them. DON'T JUST SAY NO! This is still your chance to shine! Coming prepared with some meaningful questions shows that your level of interest in the job/company is high and shows that you actually care about the opinions of the people sitting across from you. 

5) Rock it
(Source)
Now that you've spent some time preparing, you're ready to go in and kill it. Be confident! If you act confident, then you'll feel confident and it'll show! You already know that you're going to be the best intern ever, so now you just have to show them that.

Do you have any interview stories to share? Leave your own tips and tricks in the comments!





2 comments:

  1. This is a really great post. I'll have my sister take a look at this since she's job hunting at the moment. The outfits are gorgeous!

    I just nominated your blog to a Liebster award. Have a look on my blog to read more :)

    http//lifeofannas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found the post helpful! I love to dress up but never really have a reason to, so when I have an excuse I like to go all out even if just a sweater and dress pants would probably do :)

      But thank you for the nomination! I'll have to go check out your post!

      Delete