Monday, March 17, 2014

Review: 10k Trainer- Run for Pink

I feel like I've started every post recently with some comment about the weather. So this one why not do it one more time? Since it's starting to warm up and the snow is melting, it's finally good weather for outdoor runs! I'm definitely the kind of person who goes through phases when it comes to exercise regimens. I'm either bouncing between different ones or not doing any at all. Last fall I did find one that I really liked though! It was an app that helped you train for a 10k over 14 weeks.


The app is called 10k Trainer- Run for Pink and it's free in the App Store. I know it definitely works with Apple products since that's what I use, but I'm not positive if it's compatible with Androids. It's structured on a 14 week schedule if you only run 3 days a week. When I was using it I was running about 4-5 days since that's what I felt like doing, so I was moving through the program a little faster.



This is what the program looks like. For each week you run the same set of intervals. It gives you a summary at the top of what you'll be doing and it also keeps the time for each exercise. What I love about this is that you can hook it up to a playlist by hitting the music note button, but it will still tell you when it is time to switch intervals. There's different settings but I have mine set to chime and say "begin walking" and "begin running" when it's time for me to switch. It also will tell you how long to run/walk for in the center and then it shows how much time has passed/is left overall in each of the smaller circles.

(Source)

They make this app for a 5k and for a half marathon (although the half marathon one is not free). I did it for about 4 weeks in the fall before it got cold (and I got lazy) and I really enjoyed it. Now I've started it over from the beginning and I completed Day #1 yesterday. You can go at your own pace, and as someone who isn't in the best shape ever I find that the recovery intervals are long enough that the work out is challenging but doable. If you run the same route everyday you can actually feel yourself getting faster since you'll be at different points when the intervals switch!

How do you feel about exercise apps? Do you have any that you love? Any running tips for us? Leave them in the comments!



No comments:

Post a Comment